Credibility When It Counts
If you have made mistakes, even serious ones,
there is always another chance for you.
What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down.
Have you ever had a moment that you wish you could take back and do over? You know the one. It makes your stomach turn and palms sweat every time you think of it. It cost you credibility in the eyes of others—even in your own eyes.
I have great news!
No, I can't show you how to rewind time, but I do know that every passing minute provides an opening to turn it all around.
Rarely is credibility lost forever. What counts is
- strong character;
- honesty; and
- taking ownership and moving things in a positive direction.
I have met people who would rather walk away from a challenging situation and start over somewhere else rather than
- accept responsibility for what happened,
- address the key issues, and
- rectify the wrong.
They are missing an enormous opportunity.
No one is perfect. We are all human. Everyone can make a mistake, say the wrong thing, miss a deadline, or forget an important detail. It's what we do AFTER the error that truly defines our character.
Recognizing and admitting you were imprudent, then determining what can be done to correct the unhappy result, will demonstrate your true leadership and intent.
If the offended parties are still willing to talk to you, there is your golden opportunity. You can show you really are a problem-solver and person of substance and integrity.
This next step is not for the faint-hearted. In fact, this subject has likely made you very uncomfortable. If it hasn't, then you are perfect and obviously not from the same planet as the rest of us. There's much to lose by not restoring your credibility and much more to be gained by attempting to do so.
Next time you find yourself reliving a gut-wrenching moment you wish you could erase,
- pick up the phone,
- drop by with a gift or card to talk in person, or
- make a personal connection to reopen the lines of communication and ask for the chance to change the outcome.
The worst that can happen is that you are refused. You still will have won back some credibility with others and with yourself by showing the desire to make things right.
Points to Ponder This Month
- Is there a recurring area in your life that constantly costs you credibility? What can be done to change it?
- What has leaving a credibility issue unresolved cost you in business or in your personal life?
- If someone who has lost credibility in your eyes came to you genuinely ready, willing, and able to change things, would you refuse that person the opportunity to try?
View past CAN newsletters here.)
Have a fully engaged and on purpose month!
Important Reminders for Affiliates . . .
- You may not unsubscribe from CAN, this Affiliate newsletter. As part of the CRG Affiliate Agreement, you have agreed to accept communications from CRG in any form because they pertain to the Affiliate relationship.
- Opting out, refusing, or blocking this communication will result in the termination of the Affiliate Agreement and the forfeiture of any pending Affiliate fees. As a non-Affiliate or a customer of CRG, you may continue to use the CRG site and its resources, without the Affiliate benefits.
June 4–6, 2009 in
Secrets of Sucess Journal
This 52-page PDF outlines and provides a summary of most of our 100+ resources. It also provides valuable articles that you can re-purpose or forward to others.